Monday, September 22, 2008

Our Family, Our Story








"What makes the difference between wishing and realizing our wishes?  Lots of things, and it may take months or years for a wish to come true, but it's far more likely to happen when you care so much about a wish that you will do all you can to make it happen."  
Fred Rogers



Our Family, Our Story...   

Dave and I (Cheryl) have been married 25 years.  We have three children.  Brady is a junior at Southeastern University in Lakeland Florida and is 21 years old.  Mikelle is 19 and is also a student at Southeastern University where she just began her freshman year.  Sasha is two years old and last September we welcomed her into our family.  She was born in Yangchun City, China and lights up our world.   We love our family time and treasure the moments when we are all together.

Where it all began...For the benefit of those reading this who may not know our story, let me explain.  When our daughter Mikelle and our son Brady were about two and four years old, Dave felt called to adopt.  Throughout the years, we discussed it casually never actually making the next step but knowing if we did we would adopt two little Asian girls.  Then when Brady came home for Christmas break his freshman year of college, God made it very clear to us that this was what He wanted us to do.  Within days we had chosen an adoption agency and were in the process of beginning the paper chase which leads to the formal dossier which travels to China for matching with a child.

Why some ask, would someone chose to start the process of raising a family all over again at this point?   Many others have questioned our sanity.  But when God leads, we know He has a mighty plan in store and we are called to follow.   We look forward to the challenge and adventure of raising God's children and are reminded once again of the quote, "You don't bless me so that I can close my eyes and fold my hands and be content with what I have.  You don't fill me so that I can live a life that's full and free for only me".

More of the story... One of the things that played an important part in the decision to adopt was the travelling of both Brady and Mikelle to Nicaragua on missions trips.  As they returned home with lives changed and shared the videos and pictures and testimonies, I felt my heart being torn open with sadness for the lives of children who would never know a loving family, who lacked food and clean drink, and might never know the love of Jesus.   I felt a movement in my heart and a love for these children that peered at me through their sad eyes in living color on my computer screen.  It wasn't until the adoption discussion came up again did I realize what an impact those lonely faces had made on my heart.  

We reach many crossroads and destinations as we journey through life.  As we wait for the little girl who will soon officially be our daughter I marvel at how far in so many ways we have come for this child.  In the two plus years since we started our process to adopt Sasha we have grown so much.  God continues to lead, guide and prepare us for yet another child of His who He will chose for us.  We know she, like Brady, Mikelle and Sasha will be perfect for our family.

Soon we will be waiting nervously for a door to open in a small room somewhere on the other side of the world.  Once again time will stand still as we meet another precious child of God and our lives will once again be changed forever.  We reach many destinations as we travel, but the journey never ends.  For our family, a new journey is just beginning.





No comments: